Fennel, Cabrito & Coppa winter green salad
We love winter because of the rich, indulgent dishes we get to share in and enjoy. But lets be honest, all of this seasonal heaviness can become a bit overbearing. Why not break it up with some elegant winter greens, creamy goats cheese and the finest charcuterie, encapsulated in a citrus and peppery zing. This recipe is an easy to assemble showstopper that would compliment a lasagne or casserole perfectly, bringing that lighter touch to all of the heavy meals we so love. I used the lovely leaves I have growing around the garden, I have interspersed usual salad leaves with some crisp mint, lovage, parsley and fronds of fennel to garnish. But you can use any organic greens from your local grocer. Once all your ingredients are gathered and washed, you will find this to be an extremely easy dish to assemble.
- Serving dish
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- 200 g Seasonal leaves
- 1 jar Sol's Grilled Fennel & Onion antipasti
- 100 g Sols Karoo pork, Coppa
- 2 Belnori Cabrito goats cheese
- 1 Lemon
- 15 g White sesame seed
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 no's Mange tout
- As always, make sure all the ingredients are washed properly and ready before beginning.
- Peel thin slices of rind off the lemon, remove any excess white pith and chiffonade (very thinly slice) for garnish. Cut the lemon in two and extract all the juice.
- Chiffonade (very thinly slice) the Mange tout (snow peas) and keep to one side for garnish.
- Find any appropriately sized platter or dish and you're ready to get going.
- You may start by forming a base or nest with your leaves.
- Remove the fennel and onion from the jar and arrange on the leaves. Whilst letting the marinating oil and liquid remain in the jar to act as the fragrant dressing of the dish.
- Fan the coppa out on top of the ingredients, try to give some height to your dish with this step.
- Now crumble the cabrito into little chunks over the areas that the coppa or fennel doesn't cover.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and an additional tbsp of olive oil to the jar with the oil from the fennel, put the lid on and shake vigorously. That's your dressing done! Remember to only dress right before serving otherwise your fresh leaves will wilt away into slimy goo.
- Garnish your salad with the sesame seed, sprigs of fresh fennel, chiffonade of lemon and mange tout. a crack of black pepper and a sprinkle of salt flakes and its ready. Dress to serve.